Uninformed adventures in sewing and couture

Menu & Search

A vintage shirtdress; Simplicity 6698

January 5, 2016

After spending close to a year on my wedding dress I took a break from sewing.  But as summer arrived I started lusting after cotton dresses that fit well, and decided I should probably sew something I could to wear more than once.

I’m still a beginner seamstress, and on top of my list of skills to get happening was setting sleeves and attaching a collar. Hailing from the great nation of Canada, Simplicity 6698 circa 1966 requires both, and is very similar to a RTW shirtdress I already own that gets tonnes of wear.

simplicity 6698_cover

Don’t they just look like a pack of fun gals?  Even Betty Draper is there, doing her best in the unfortunately beige and shapeless View 2. I made view 1 with the sleeves (and haircut!) from View 3 with no substantial alterations to report.  The fabric was a linen cotton blend I got for 40% off at Spotlight, but I did have to cycle 5km in each direction in 35C heat for it (that’s 95F, y’all).

I haven’t forgotten all my couture lessons, constructing this in the Susan Khalje mode by tracing the stitching line onto the fabric and cutting large (random) seam allowances around each piece. I also interfaced the collar and button band with silk organza because I have yards of it left over from my wedding dress. It makes everything feel very special!

vintage shirtdress

These jumbo seam allowances came in handy when I pinned the side seams together and discovered I needed an extra 4 inches in the hips. Damn vintage proportions!! Thanks to Susan K I had four inches and did not have to re-cut anything, I have made the adjustment on my pattern as I plan to sew this up again in a liberty print silk crepe. Wish me luck!

vintage shirtdress

I probably should have interfaced the belt? But I know for next time, and it does the job.

I did some research on how collars work and followed this fantastic advice from Sheryl to draft a new under collar piece (the instructions were to cut two identical pieces). I took 4mm off the under-collar tapering to zero at the corner. This means I need to rely less on my hopeless pressing skills and I think elevates the bodice from the ‘nurse uniform’ territory into which it tends to stray.

Simplicity 6698

SONY DSC

After a day at work it doesn’t look to bad! But I still have a lot to learn.

vintage shirtdress

vintage shirtdress

I still have my photography L plates on so I gave up and carried my dressform outside to catch the last of the light. Don’t say I never do anything for you 🙂

simplicity-6698_9.jpg

vintage shirtdress

All in all a cute little number for summer days. Thanks for reading!

Article Tags
tanya
Related article
The 100 Hour Bridesmaid’s Dress

The 100 Hour Bridesmaid’s Dress

I was incredibly lucky to have Maddie on my team throughout…

Sewing a wedding dress: The Big Reveal

Sewing a wedding dress: The Big Reveal

Well! After trawling the internet for other home-sewn gowns,  drafting…

Allanah Hill Roman Blinds

Allanah Hill Roman Blinds

When we moved into our new home there were no…

5 Discussion to this post

  1. ooobop says:

    Shirt dresses are so lovely to wear – one of my faves. You did a fabulous job and the fabric looks spot on. I don’t imagine you will stop at just one more! 😉

  2. It looks great! Just the thing for Summer.

  3. Hellen Bolek says:

    I wanted to thank you for this good read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have got you bookmarked to check out new things you post…

  4. sikis izle says:

    You do have a fabulous blog thanks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Type your search keyword, and press enter to search