Sewing a wedding dress: The Big Reveal
Well! After trawling the internet for other home-sewn gowns, drafting…
After a long and tiring search I finally settled on a bolt of stunning silk Organza Jacquard for my wedding dress fabric. I created a pinterest board full of fantastic organza creations – Organza really is a wonderful versatile fabric and was a dream to sew.
After sewing and fitting my corselet for so long I got used to a very close fit through the whole bodice, and wanted to maintain that in the finished dress, which this Rochas dress seems to do really cleverly. After trying to work out how the bodice was constructed I added a horizontal dart in the centre of the bust piece, and then excluded the dart by adding a horizontal seam right across the bust apex. This really was risky and could have looked terrible, but I think it helped modernise a very traditional silhouette.
I just draped the skirt on my dress form in muslin and basted the pleats in place, then I put the seams between silk panels in the depth of the pleats to hide them, this was very effective I think:
Finishing the neckline of the dress was surprisingly time consuming. I was totally at a loss how to attach the bodice to the corselet with a clean finish, and someone on patternreview.com suggested a simple facing at the neckline – this saved the day and worked extremely well.
And a whole lot of hemming + a zip insertion later the dress was done !
Next up I’ll reveal my finished dress. Thanks for reading 🙂